Responsible for processing registration and discharge of patients, appropriate placement of patients with providers, verifying insurance benefits, and making financial arrangements to ensure maximum reimbursement to Los Angeles Christian Health Centers. Must be bi-lingual Spanish. Must have excellent computer experience and mathematical skills. Demonstrate Christ-like behavior and attitude in all job duties and responsibilities.
Interview clients on a one-to-one basis to determine eligibility for federal and state-funded health insurance programs; assess client eligibility and assist client to complete the application form; gather required eligibility documentation; submit applications to appropriate agency. Conduct outreach in the community to recruit clients eligible for federal and state-funded health insurance programs. Work with managed care entities to enhance patient enrollment and retention. Support LACHC’s mission to follow Christ by loving and serving our neighbors through comprehensive, quality healthcare and the vision the healing and restoration of homeless and underserved communities. Demonstrate Christ-like behavior and attitude in all job duties and responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES include:
- Greet all patients, students, volunteers, delivery personnel and any other visitor as they approach the front.
- Maintain patient flow by coordinating closely with clinical staff: such as Medical; Dental, etc.
- Register all patients per registration protocols and collect all documentation
- Scan required documentation into eClinicalWorks per protocol.
- Follow protocol in informing RNs or providers immediately when clients are presenting urgent symptoms such as: chest pain, shortness of breath, acute abdominal pain, etc.
- Reviews and verifies patient coverage of insurance and financial data and computes the charges to be paid by the patient.
- Collects co-pays or deductibles prior to the patient being seen by the provider using established policies and procedures.
- Follow protocol when collecting cash from patients.
- Maintain and prepare daily scheduled appointments.
- Maintain a high accuracy rate when entering appropriate patient information into eClinicalWorks.
- Follow proper telephone etiquette and protocol when answering phone calls.
- Schedule follow-up appointments, if needed, before client departs
- Assist in calling for consult notes or diagnostic imaging and results, as needed, when directed at Clinic Service Site (CSS) locations.
- Assist providers with clerical duties as needed at CSS locations.
- Manages necessary LACHC-related paperwork for clients. Stock and organize paperwork.
- Schedules appointments for clients, both in-clinic and outside appointments and sends reminders.
- Follow-up on no-show patients on a daily basis
- Communicates patient complaints to appropriate supervisor.
- Assist with scheduling optometry appointments, including follow-up and dispensing of glasses.
- Support when possible with translating.
- Receive incoming mail and delivery packages and phones appropriate staff for pick up
- Maintain a clean and orderly lobby area.
- Assist in maintaining office supplies.
- Enroll clients in California or federal health insurance programs as eligible:
- Screen clients by reviewing income information
(pay stubs, employer statements, etc)
- Assist the client to complete the application (If necessary)
- Request and obtain the documentation necessary to complete
- Submit the health program application to the appropriate agency
- Follow up with the agency to ensure the client received coverage
- Track and follow-up on submitted applications to ensure clients receive healthcare coverage.
- Conduct research on clients who have not received medical coverage (pending) or clients with denied claims because of insurance status with the goal of obtaining medical coverage for them and maximizing reimbursement.
- Conduct one-to-one and group outreach to explore for clients eligible to complete health insurance program applications.
- Keep current on rules and procedures of federal and state-funded programs including commercial carriers and other public services.
- Gain and maintain eligibility guidelines and documentation requirements for state and federal health insurance programs.
- Evaluate and resolve problems related to insurance issues and advocate for the client. Educate clients on how to access community resources.
- Handle all client information in a confidential manner.
- Perform clerical work as needed
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Professional and positive attitude
- Ability to multi-task; well-organized
- Computer literate
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Bi-lingual Spanish (read and write).
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions
- Must be CPR certified
- Must have reliable transportation including ability to travel locally when needed
- Including the different Clinics Sites.
- Must dress in business casual including wearing a blazer or suit when needed
- Valid driver’s license required
- Acceptable driving record.
- Must become a Certified Enrollment Counselor (Cover CA Certified) within 60-days
- Ability to use word-processing and spreadsheet software to complete assigned tasks. Skilled in using office machines.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously; demonstrated skills in working independently or in a team setting; using independent judgment; and problem solving and troubleshooting.
- Demonstrated ability to work with clients of various socioeconomic backgrounds, disabilities, and cultures and with interpreters and clients for whom English is a second language.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate in a pleasant, non-judgmental, respectful, culturally sensitive manner under varying levels of stress (this may include high levels of noise, limited resources, etc.); demonstrated skills in handling difficult interpersonal interactions with discretion and diplomacy.
- Other duties may be assigned
Require knowledge of office equipment. Preferred medical terminology and knowledge of ICD-9 codes and CPT codes. Experience with Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Access, Microsoft excel and Microsoft Word useful. Computer proficiency required, including the ability to enter data with speed and accuracy
English and Spanish fluency required.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, musical notes, etc…) in its most difficult phases
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS & WORK HOURS: Limited to contractual/collaborative duties and professional education opportunities. Standard 40-hour week (4, 10-hr days or 5, 8-hr days) with occasional Saturdays or Sundays.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
California Driver License; valid insurance. CPR Certification required
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED), three months to one year of related experience and/or training, or equivalent of education and experience.
Knowledge of medical procedures and practices helpful. Computer experience required
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be exposed to carriers of contagious diseases such as TB, AIDS and other Sexually Transmitted Diseases. The employee may have to deal with irate and irrational clients who may or may not be under the influence of mind-altering substances such as cocaine, marijuana, alcohol, etc.
Regular, Full-time, Non-Exempt position. Medical, dental and Vision benefits. 403B retirement plan with employer match. Equal Opportunity Employer. We will consider candidates with criminal histories. Salary Range $34,902 – $44,106. Please submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org .