The Clinic RN (Per Diem) will demonstrate Christ-like behavior and attitude in all job duties and responsibilities, as well as adhering to policies, procedures, standards and regulations of the RN license and LACHC as an organization. The RN works with the care teams and functions as a service provider, educator, coordinator, advocate and facilitator of health and health services for individuals and groups. The RN works to improve the quality of patient care through ongoing communication and collaboration with the multidisciplinary care team. All duties must be performed in a manner displaying LACHC’s holistic approach to treatment and to contextualize all treatment, education and counsel in the Judeo-Christian view of man and woman as being made in the image of God and possessing spirit, soul and body; emphasizing the necessity of health and wholeness in all three areas.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Including but not limited to the following:
- Recognize that the RN role is one of leadership and involves mentoring with patients and staff.
- Utilize nursing process and provide professional nursing care in a clinic setting.
- As a member of the care team, provides basic medical case management to patients. This includes on an as needed basis: communicating with patients or families, helping execute a care plan, reconciling patient medications, providing interventions as appropriate, and helping with clinical follow up to ensure patient self-management or self-care goals are being addressed.
- Understands how role fits into a Patient Centered Medical Home model of care
- Perform nursing care as appropriate to patients requiring wound care or other procedures falling within the RN’s scope.
- Perform triage on patients that request same day or urgent appointments, providing nursing intervention when necessary and determining if flip visits are necessary per established protocol
- Participates in patient follow-up activities as directed by providers for normal and abnormal laboratory, DI or specialty consult results. Interacts with patient by phone, text, letter or email/portal.
- Receives and processes incoming calls per policy related to critical lab and DI results
- Dispense medications according to approved standardized procedures, including DOT (direct observation therapy), placing TB tests, nebulizer treatments and giving medication injections and vaccines. Administer medications in the clinic when appropriate.
- Carry out standing orders as appropriate and per policy.
- Assisting providers with completion of annual wellness exams
- Tracking post-hospitalization visits, which entails: tracking spreadsheet from Medpoint, calling patients for follow up, offering clinical advice within nursing scope as needed, and creating follow up appointments for patients
- Provide crisis intervention when required to promote a safe and peaceful clinic setting and keep patients and staff safe.
- Documents all patient interactions as deemed appropriate in the patient chart in the EMR, taking care to chart in an informative, accurate and descriptive manner that reflects the patient care provided and keeping accurate records on intervention and patient education. Documentation will be complete, prompt and according to policy.
- Provide patient education and information about chronic care, disease prevention and the promotion of health maintenance.
- Functions as a member of the care team by participating in care team meetings-daily huddles and monthly site team meetings as appropriate.
- Utilize Motivational Interviewing techniques when working with patients.
- Participates in continuous quality improvement program by assisting with data collection, helping with small tests of change and other duties related to CQI.
- Utilize appropriate methods for interacting with and collaborating sensitively, effectively and professionally with persons from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrate ability to communicate with all members of the team to facilitate patient care.
- Serve as an advocate for the patient.
- Minister to the needs of the patients in a holistic manner, addressing needs of body, mind and spirit.
- Foster and promote a culture of service excellence and accountability.
- Abide by HIPAA guidelines and policies, taking care to protect patient information at all times.
- Prioritize daily workload to ensure that all responsibilities are carried out in a timely manner.
- Work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Other duties as assigned to including special projects and administrative duties.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action.
- Ability to deal tactfully with personnel, patients, visitors, government agencies and the general public.
- Knowledgeable regarding nursing and medical practices and procedures, as well as laws, regulations and guidelines that pertain to community health.
- Must be able to relate to and work with the ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset, and at times, hostile people within the facility.
- Ability to demonstrate effective decision-making by assessing situations accurately, sharing fact-based information, communicating professional opinions clearly and inquiring actively.
- Ability to work autonomously, taking initiative and problem solving within the scope of an RN.
- Ability to manage a high volume of patients in a short span of time, while dealing with unpredictable issues.
- Flexibility to perform in an ever-changing work environment with frequent interruptions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Diploma from an accredited nursing school. Bachelor’s degree (BSN) preferred. We welcome new graduate applicants.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization. Bilingual (English and Medical Spanish) a plus.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as medication doses, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume as well as others as appropriate. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Current, unencumbered, active California license to practice as an RN; CPR certificate.
Part-time, Per Diem, Non-Exempt position. Annual salary range provided upon request. Equal Opportunity Employer. Will consider candidates with criminal histories.