The Medical Assistant (MA) will work within their scope as defined by state and federal guidelines. The MA oversees the operations of rooming and checking in patients and the general flow of back office. The MA communicates effectively with all members of the team including but not limited to providers, fellow MA’s, nurses, provider, referral coordinators and patient registration specialists. Demonstrates Christ-like behavior and attitude in all job duties and responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Includes but are not limited to the following: (Other duties may be assigned.)
- Conjointly supervised by MA Supervisor, Physicians and/or Mid-level providers.
- Performs chart prep on all patients using Azara pre-visit planning tool and most current Routine Standing Orders.
- Participates in daily huddles with care team per team schedule in order to anticipate what is needed for the scheduled patient visits.
- Directs patient flow during clinic operations.
- Performs or oversees intake process (vitals, medication review, medical history, proper completion of forms and templates in eCW etc.).
- Performs necessary and ordered diagnostic tests (peak flow measurement, Snellen, etc.).
- Fills lab orders (venipuncture, urinalysis, blood testing, blood sugar, etc.) for both in house and send out lab tests processing and preparing specimens for pick up by the lab each day.
- Provide evidence based educational handouts per provider and order set direction, advising patients to ask the nurse or provider any questions they may have.
- Administer medications within scope-injections, nebulized meds, etc.
- Thoroughly documents all intake information and procedures in patient’s chart in the EMR.
- Understands how role fits into a Patient Centered Medical Home model of care
- Assists providers in exam rooms when needed.
- Prepares room for next patient.
- Maintains proper specifications for equipment and cleans equipment as needed (e.g. daily check of refrigerator temperatures, monthly calibrating, etc).
- Maintains adequate supply of all medical supplies and equipment.
- Assists in various clinic duties as assigned (restocking of supplies, preparation and closing of clinic rooms, etc.).
- Assists with orienting new staff.
- Assists in obtaining free vaccines for patients by facilitating paperwork for pharmaceutical company patient assistance programs.
- Maintains logs as directed for various things like room temperatures, water temperatures, daily room cleaning
- May be asked to cover staffing needs that may occur due to sick leave or vacation time at other sites. This could involve traveling to another site.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be CPR certified.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or (GED), Current Medical Assistant certificate/diploma, Phlebotomy training; proficiency a plus, Computer and electronic medical record experience a plus.
“New grads welcomed”.
Fluency in English and Spanish strongly preferred; requirement for Spanish may vary depending on clinic site.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations, where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Current Medical Assistant Certificate/Diploma
CPR Certification required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific visions abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be exposed to carriers of contagious diseases such as TB, AIDS and other Sexually Transmitted Diseases. The employee will encounter acutely mentally ill patients. The employee may have to deal with irate and irrational clients who may or may not be under the influence of mind-altering substances such as cocaine, marijuana, alcohol, etc. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
I understand the above job description and agree to comply with, and be subject to, its conditions. I understand that the company reserves the right to delegate, remove, expand or change any and all responsibilities listed above and will inform me of any such change. In addition to meeting the job duties listed above, I agree to abide by the Company policies contained in the employee handbook. I acknowledge that I can fulfill the above duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
Full-time, Non-Exempt position with 403B retirement plan with employer match. Medical, Dental and Vision. Annual salary range is $29,404 – $44,106. Equal Opportunity Employer. Will consider candidates with criminal histories.